St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine (SMUSOM) has been continuously accredited since 2002, enabling our students to be eligible to practice in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and other countries.
Accreditation is a comprehensive assessment process by which educational institutions undergo external evaluations conducted by a panel of experts. The accreditors for medical schools must be favorably evaluated by federations and commissions in order for students to be eligible for residency placement, USMLE Step exams, and U.S. clinical rotations.
Navigating Accreditation - A Guide for Prospective Students Exploring International Medical Schools
SMUSOM’s accreditation and approvals ensure that students have:
- Access to US Federal Loans
- Access to take licensing exams, including the USMLE
- Access to clinical rotations
- Opportunity to participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and apply for licensure to practice in the United States
In January 2020, The Medical Board of California determined that foreign medical schools must meet the following requirements to be recognized:
(1) The foreign medical school has been evaluated by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) or one of the ECFMG-authorized foreign medical school accreditation agencies and deemed to meet the minimum requirements substantially equivalent to the requirements of medical schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education, the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools, or the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation.
(2) The foreign medical school is listed on the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER) World Directory of Medical Schools joint directory or the World Directory of Medical Schools.
SMUSOM satisfies these requirements and is recognized in California as of January 2020. For more than 20 years we have been accredited by ACCM which is an ECFMG authorized foreign medical school accreditation agency. ACCM is also recognized by the US Department of Education through NCFMEA. SMUSOM is listed with WFME and the World Directory. As such, we are in full compliance with California’s requirements. Therefore, current and future SMUSOM students qualify for clinical rotations, residencies, and licensure in California.
The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) identifies SMUSOM as an approved school in the World Directory of Medical Schools.