Dr. Rajesh Thangarajan
BHMS, M.Sc, Ph.D
School of Medicine
Associate Professor of Histology and Cell Biology
Present- involved in teaching students of Doctor of Medicine (M.D)
Past- Students of undergraduate and postgraduate - Medicine, Dentistry, and Allied Health courses.
Associate Professor; Anatomical Sciences (Histology and Cellular Biology); NBME Chief Proctor Dr. Rajesh Thangarajan received his undergraduate degree in Homoeopathic Medicine and Surgery from The Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University, and a M.SC (Medical Anatomy) and Ph.D. (Neuroanatomy) from Manipal Academy of Higher Education (MAHE), Manipal, India. He has been teaching for many years and is well experienced with various teaching-learning methods such as large and small group teachings, that includes Problem-Based Learning (PBL), Team-Based Learning (TBL), Self-Directed learning (SDL), and Case-Based learning (CBL).
He received the good teacher award with a certificate of excellence in teaching by Melaka Manipal Medical College- Manipal Campus, MAHE, India. Dr. Rajesh’s research passions include clinical anatomy, neuroanatomy, medical education, and complementary and alternative medicine. He has presented at numerous medical conferences and training programs, including the International Brain research organization- Asia Pacific Regional Chapter (IBRO-APRC), the Indian Academy of Neurosciences, and the Anatomical Society of India.
He was awarded travel grants by IBRO-APRC to participate in the neuroscience research training programs. He is also serving as a reviewer of the Journal of King Saud University, Indian Journal of Neurosciences, Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, and Journal of Basic and Clinical Physiology and pharmacology. He is a lifetime member of the Indian Academy of Neurosciences, Anatomical Society of India, The Tamilnadu Homoeopathy Medical Council (India), Society for Biological Chemists, India, and Environmental mutagenic society of India.
Teaching- Anatomical Sciences- Histology and cellular biology
Histology laboratory techniques, immunohistochemistry
Human cadaveric dissection
- “Good teacher award” with a certificate of excellence in teaching-2018 - by Melaka Manipal Medical College- Manipal Campus, India
- Travel Award- 2018- International Brain Research Organisation - Asia Pacific regional chapter (IBRO-APRC)
- Travel Award- 2017- International Brain Research Organisation - Asia Pacific regional chapter (IBRO-APRC)
- Best scientific poster presentation award at 34th Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Neurosciences- 2016
- Summer Research Fellowship award - 2012- Science Academies, India
- Ravi Mundugaru, Sukrant Sharma, Senthilkumar Sivanesan, Rajesh Thangarajan, Pundalik Rama Naik, Nagesh Raju, Ahmed Alfarhan, Rajakrishnan Rajagopal, Bander Almunqedhi. Neuroprotective Effects Of Vanda Roxburghii Extract In Endothelin-1 (Et-1) Induced Hippocampal Ischemic Damage And Ameliorate Cognitive Deficit. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. Apr-Jun, 2020; 54(2) (Suppl).
- Siddharth Karuppasamy Karthikeyan, Rajesh Thangarajan, Nagarajan Theruvedhi, Krithica Srinivasan. Android mobile applications in eye care. Oman J Ophthalmol 2019;12:73-7 doi: 10.4103/ojo.OJO_226_2018. PMID: 31198290; PMCID: PMC6561043.
- Thangarajan Rajesh, Ramesh R Tantradi, Kiranmai S Rai, Sivakumar Gopalakrishnan, R Huban Thomas, Anjaneyulu Konuri. Additive Effects of Physical Exercise and Environmental Enrichment in Attenuating Alterations in the Hippocampal Neuronal Morphology of Adult Wistar Rats Induced by Prenatal Inflammations. Jordan Journal of Biological Sciences, 11(5), Dec 2018, 563-570.
- Anjaneyulu K, Kiranmai S Rai, Rajesh T, Nagamma T, Kumar M.R. Bhat. Therapeutic Efficacy of Fenugreek Extract or/and Choline with Docosahexaenoic Acid in Attenuating Learning and Memory Deficits in Ovariectomized Rats. Journal of Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences University, April-June 2018, 7(2), 10-20.
- Rajarethnem Huban Thomas, Kumar MR Bhat , Sivakumar Gopalakrishnan, Raghu Jetti, Thangarajan Rajesh, Indujaa Manikam, Kiranmai Rai. Neurocognitive Developmental Outcomes in Early Adolescent Rats Prenatally Exposed to Choline and Docosahexaenoic Acid. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2018, 12 (01). KC01-KC05. ISSN 0973-709X.
- Sivakumar, D.J. Vidyadhara, K.N. Shivananda, T. Rajesh, K.G. Mohandas Rao and Kiranmai S. Rai, Prophylactic Choline Supplementation Attenuates Vascular Cognitive impairment in Rodent Model of Ischemic Stroke, 2017, Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 2017; 61(3): 246-255.
- Prakashchandra Shetty, Satheesha B. Nayak, Rajesh Thangarajan, Melanie Rose D’Souza. A rare case of persistent jugulocephalic vein and its clinical implication. Anat Cell Biol 2016;49:210-212
- Thangarajan Rajesh, Ramesh Rao Tantradi, Kiranmai S Rai, Sivakumar Gopalakrishnan, Ramesh Babu MG, Murali Adiga, Huban R Thomas, Pugazandhi Bhaktavatchalam. Prenatal inflammation induced alterations in spatial learning and memory abilities in adult offspring: mitigated by physical exercise and environmental enrichment. RJPBCS, 2016, 7(6), 1681-1688.
- Srinivasa Rao Sirasanagandla, Satheesha Nayak B, Raghu Jetti, Rajesh Thangarajan, Superficial Ulnar Artery Associated with Anomalous Origin of the Common Interosseous and Ulnar Recurrent Arteries. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 2016, 10 (5). pp. 1-2. ISSN 0973-709X
- Sivakumar Gopalakrishanan, MG. Ramesh Babu, Rajesh Thangarajan, Dhiren Punja, Vidyadhara Devarunda Jaganath, Akriti B.Kanth, Mohandas Rao, Kiranmai S. Rai. Impact of Seasonal Variant Temperatures and Laboratory Room Ambient Temperature on Mortality of Rats with Ischemic Brain Injury Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, April: 2016, 10 (4): CF01-CF05. PMID: 27190796 PMCID: PMC4866094 DOI: 7860/JCDR/2016/17372.7597
- Sivakumar G, Punja Dhiren, Rajesh T, Thomas Huban, Babu Ramesh MG. Two stage successive carotid artery occlusion surgeries in wistar rat reduce its mortality and depicts as a better model for vascular dementia. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences. 2015, 6 (3). pp. 592-603. ISSN 0975-8585
- Rajesh Thangarajan, Ramesh Rao T, Kiranmai S Rai, Sivakumar G, Vivek P. Inflammation during gestation induced spatial memory deficits: attenuated by physical exercise in juvenile rats. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2015, 9 (6), CF01 - CF04 PMID: 26266117, PMCID: PMC4525506.
- Sivakumar G, Vidhyadhara DJ, Shivakumar Reddy, Rajesh T, Mohandas KG, Kiranmai.S.Rai, Prophylactic combined supplementation of choline and docosahexaenoic acid attenuates vascular cognitive impairment and preserves hippocampal cell viability in rat model of chronic cerebral hypoperfusion ischemic brain injury: J. Basic Clin. Pharmacol. 2015; 4(3): 522-530, doi: 10.18203/2319-2003.ijbcp20150033.
- Murali Adiga, Kirtana Pai, Snehunsu, Rajesh, Sivakumar. HLA antigen distribution in renal transplant patients & donors visiting tertiary care hospital of Karnataka state in South India. International Journal of Physiology, July-December, 2015, Vol.3, No.2, 53-58
- Srinivasa Rao Sirasanagandla, Kumar MR Bhat, Satheesha Nayak B, Prakashchandra Shetty, Thangarajan Rajesh, A rare case of variant morphology of peroneus tertius muscle. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research, 2014, 8 (10). AD01-AD02. ISSN 0973-709X.
- Rajesh Thangarajan, Prakashchandra Shetty, Srinivasa Rao Sirasanagnadla, Melanie Rose D’souza Unusual morphology of the superior belly of omohyoid muscle. Anat Cell Biol 2014;47: 271-273.
- Prakashchandra Shetty, Satheesha Nayak B, Naveen Kumar, Rajesh Thangarajan, Melanie Rose D'Souza. Origin of medial and lateral pectoral nerves from the supraclavicular part of brachial plexus and its clinical importance – a case report”. JCDR 2014, Vol: 8(2), 133-134.
- Shetty, Pand Nayak, Satheesha B, D’Souza MR, Thangarajan Rajesh, Prabhu GS. An anomalous muscle in the hand that can cause carpal tunnel syndrome: A case report. OA Case Reports 2013, 2 (10). pp. 1-3.
- Prakashchandra Shetty, Satheesha Nayak B, Melanie Rose D'Souza, Rajesh Thangarajan, Gayathri S Prabhu, Variation in the morphology and branching pattern of the aortic arch – a case report. OA Case Reports 2013 Sep 10; 2 (10):99.
- Satheesha Nayak B, Jyothsna Patil, Rajesh Thangarajan, Gayathri Prabhu “Long celiac trunk; its low origin and unusual branches – a case report” OA CASE REPORTS 2013 Aug 08; 2(8):77.
- Rajesh Thangarajan, Prakashchandra Shetty, Biswabina Ray, Alok Saxena “Foundation Pillars: Building up Case Report” OA Case Reports 2013 Aug 08; 2(7):68.
- Thangarajan Rajesh, Biswabina Ray, Alok Saxena. Anatomical variation of Ulnar artery in Hand: Clinical Importance, Siriraj Medical Journal, July-August 2013 Vol. 65 issue 4, 117-119.
- Biswabina Ray, K. V. Rajagopal, Rajesh, B. M. V. Gayathri, A. S. D’souza, J. V. Swarnashri, Alok Saxena; Morphometry and CT Measurements of Useful Bony Landmarks of Skull Base; Rom. J. Morphol. Embryol. 2011, 52(3):873–877. PMID:21892533
- Biswabina Ray, Gayathri .B.M.V, T, Morphometry and CT Measurements of Useful Landmarks for Skull Base Surgery with Special Emphasis on Henle's Spine. (only abstract) J.Ant. Soc. India 59(1) 48-139 (2010) p. 56.
- Rajesh T, Gayathri BMV, Biswabina Ray. Asterion- a reliable Landmark in Surgical Planning and Approaches” (only abstract) J.Ant. Soc. India 59(1) 48-139 (2010) p.62.
- Rajesh Thangarajan, Pugazhandhi Bakthavatchalam, Baghath Kumar Potu, Huban Rajaratnam Thomas; Anatomical Variation of the Flexor Digitorum Brevis Muscle Revisited: a Case report from South Indian Population. International Journal Of Anatomical Variation (2010) 3: 211–213. [Published Date: Dec 21, 2010]
- Served as Chairperson and judge- 64th Annual Conference of Association of Physiologists and pharmacologists of India “ Advancing Horizon of Medical Physiology and Pharmacology in research and teaching”- Dept of Physiology and Pharmacology –MMMC, KMC Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, India. (Nov 2018).
- BEST POSTER PRESENTATION AWARD “Prenatal infection alters hippocampal neuronal morphology in adult Wistar rats: rescued by adolescent physical exercise and environmental enrichment.” 34th Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Neurosciences and International Symposium on Molecules to mind at National Brain Research Center, Gurgaon, India (2016).