Why St. Matthew’s University?
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine (SMUSOM) has attained an unprecedented 100% Residency Placement Rate for their 2022-231 MD program graduates.
An expert faculty with small class sizes and a 7:1 student-to-faculty ratio greatly contributes to the achievement. This focused attention has led to consistently strong USMLE Step I pass rates by SMUSOM students.
From 2018-20222, SMUSOM has achieved an average Pass Rates of 92% and 94% for USMLE Step 1 and 2 respectively.
1. Two-year residency placement rate is the percentage of students attaining a residency position out of all graduates or expected graduates in 2022-23 and graduates in 2021-22 who were active applicants in the NRMP match or attained a residency outside the NRMP match.
2. First-time pass rate is the number of students passing the USMLE Step Exam on their first attempt divided by the total number of students taking the USMLE Step Exam for the first time.
Amazing campus and location
The Cayman Islands’ remarkable success as a financial center and tourist destination has transformed the nation into a dynamic society that has every modern convenience but still retains the charm and vibrancy of the Caribbean. People from more than 100 countries live and work in this British Overseas Territory, creating a lively and unique blend of cultures.
An outstanding pre-clinical curriculum and the clinical shadowing programs at Cayman hospitals and clinics help our students understand the powerful link between Basic Sciences and clinical practice. This is a great way to bridge the gap between the theory and practice of medicine. The state-of-the-art IT infrastructure and learning platforms at St. Matthew’s University are among the most advanced in medical education today.
Highly credentialed, experienced faculty, with each holding an MD and/or PhD
Highly experienced faculty travel from all over the globe to deliver a curriculum that they are passionate and proud of. They are dedicated to ensuring that students gain high pass rates and progress into their clinical studies and transition to fulfilling and successful careers in their specialist fields.
After successfully completing your Basic Sciences, you’ll progress onto clinical rotations which take place during semesters 6 to 10 at teaching hospitals located in the US, Canada and the UK.
Clinicals are comprised of five core rotations followed by five elective rotations geared to an area of specialization. This is your opportunity to sharpen your knowledge in a clinical setting.
Approved for U.S. Federal Loans
SMUSOM is one of the select international medical schools to participate in US Federal Student Aid programs.
St. Matthew University School of Medicine’s M.D. program has been approved to participate in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford and Grad PLUS Loan programs which are both administered by the U.S. Department of Education. Additional information regarding these loan programs is available through the U.S. Department of Education website at www.studentaid.gov.
100% Tuition Refund Guarantee*
We believe in our MD program. We believe in you.
Land a residency, or we’ll give you a full refund of your tuition per the terms of our 100% Tuition Refund Guarantee.
Find out more
Furthermore, Canadian students are eligible for Federal Loans through the Ministry of Education Student Support Branch in the province of residence. (For example, Ontario residents are eligible for OSAP loan.) Students may apply for up to 52 weeks of financial assistance annually. Canadian students should contact their individual province directly for information regarding additional requirements.
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine’s M.D. program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM), the accrediting body for the Cayman Islands.
The United States Department of Education, via the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), reviews the standards that countries use to accredit medical schools. The NCFMEA has determined that the accreditation standards used by the ACCM to accredit St. Matthew’s University medical program are comparable to those used by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body that accredits M.D.- granting medical programs in the United States.
To provide students from diverse backgrounds with the opportunity to acquire the medical and clinical expertise needed for a successful career as a practicing clinician, along with the skills and confidence needed to critically evaluate and apply new information.
Our competencies which stem from our mission:
- Patient Care: Students must be able to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of illness and the promotion of health.
- Scientific & Medical Knowledge: Students must demonstrate knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and associated sciences and ability to apply this knowledge to the practice of medicine throughout the life cycle.
- Lifelong Learning, Scholarship & Collaboration: Students must be able to examine and evaluate their patient care practices, appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and use this information to improve their abilities.
- Professionalism: Students must demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of professional responsibility, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity in all interactions with patients, families, colleagues, and others with whom physicians must interact in their professional lives.
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Students must display interpersonal and communication skills that foster effective information exchange and build rapport with patients, their families, and professional associates.
- Social & Community Context of Healthcare: Students must demonstrate knowledge of and responsiveness to the larger context of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value to the health of the individual and of the community.
MD curriculum, built for success
During the first two years, students partake in a series of clinical medicine courses that focus on the art of patient care along with preventive medicine. The unique thing about St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine program is that these courses are integrated with the Cayman Island’s world-class healthcare system.
We have a focus on teaching where dedicated, talented faculty whose time commitments are focused on teaching and mentoring.