Proven Quality of Education
St. Matthew's University School of Medicine offers students a medical education that is completely focused on the success of our students. The result is a proven quality education.
Between 2015 and 2019, the first time USMLE Step I pass rate averaged 95% - demonstrating a consistently strong performance.
Recent residency placements in outstanding programs such as the Cleveland Clinic, the Mayo Clinic, McGill University, the University of Florida, Johns Hopkins, and Duke University.
One of only a small number of non-U.S. schools to be approved in both New York and Florida.
Approved for U.S. Federal LoansOne of only a small number of non-U.S. schools to be approved for U.S. Federal Student Loans.
Premier clinical training sites at top teaching hospitals across the United States, Canada, and United Kingdom.
More than 2000 successful graduates who have earned residencies and/or permanent licensure in nearly every state in the U.S. as well as in Canada and numerous other countries.
St.Matthew's University is a fully accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM) and the United States Department of Education recognizes our accrediting body as using standards similar to those used by the accrediting body for medical schools in the United States.
Highly credentialed, long-tenured faculty, with each holding an M.D. and/or Ph.D.
A proven integrated, discipline-based program, coupled with comprehensive USMLE preparation throughout the curriculum.
Commitment to Student Success
At St.Matthew's University, we are as committed to your dreams as you are. Throughout your ten semesters with us, we will do everything we can to ensure your success by supporting all aspects of your education and life.
Low Student to Faculty Ratio
Class sizes are limited to a maximum of 50 students, allowing for close student-teacher interaction.
Eligible for U.S. Loans
St.Matthew's University is one of just seven Caribbean medical schools approved for participation in the U.S. William D. Ford Direct Loan Program.
Unique first semester Student Development Course, offering study skills, exam strategies, peer support, and stress management.
Centre for Excellence in Medical Education
Educational workshops, clinical pathological conferences, and research in medical education.
Tuition and fees at St. Matthew's University are more than 40% below the average of U.S. medical schools.
Focus on Teaching
Dedicated, talented faculty whose time commitments are focused on teaching and mentoring.
Center for Learning Enhancement
Offers special faculty reviews and tutoring and student academic coaches.
Student mentors understand about adjusting to life in medical school, and are eager to see you succeed.
Our competencies which stem from our mission:
- Patient Care: Students must be able to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of illness and the promotion of health.
- Scientific & Medical Knowledge: Students must demonstrate knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and associated sciences and application of this knowledge to the practice of medicine throughout the life cycle.
- Lifelong Learning, Scholarship, & Collaboration: Students must be able to examine and evaluate their patient care practices, appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and use this information to improve their abilities.
- Professionalism: Students must demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of professional responsibility, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity in all interactions with patients, families, colleagues, and others with whom physicians must interact in their professional lives.
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Students must display interpersonal and communication skills that foster effective information exchange and build rapport with patients, their families, and professional associates.
- Social & Community Context of Healthcare: Students must demonstrate knowledge of and responsiveness to the larger context of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value to the health of the individual and of the community.
Accreditations and Approvals
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine’s M.D. program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Colleges of Medicine (ACCM), the accrediting body for the Cayman Islands.
Approved for U.S Federal Loans
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is one of the select international medical schools approved to participate in U.S. Federal Student Aid programs.
Approved by New York and Florida
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is one of the few international medical schools with approvals in the key states of New York and Florida. These states mandate institutional review and approval prior to granting access to clerkship opportunities in their respective states.
Approved by the New York State Education Department
In addition to clerkship opportunities, New York approval provides access to residencies in the state. The approval is for a period of seven years, which is the longest term of approval that can be granted to an international medical school.
Comparability to U.S Medical School Requirements
The United States Department of Education, via the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA), reviews the standards that countries use to accredit medical schools. The NCFMEA has determined that the accreditation standards used by the ACCM to accredit SMUSOM's medical program are comparable to those used by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), the accrediting body that accredits M.D.-granting medical programs in the United States.
Licensed by the Commission for Independent Education, Florida Department of Education
Additional information regarding this institution may be obtained by contacting:
Florida Department of Education
Commission for Independent Education
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400
(888) 224-6684 (toll free)
The Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) identifies St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine as an approved school in the World Directory of Medical Schools.
St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is a member of the International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) as well as the Family Medicine Education Consortium (FMEC).