The St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine mission is to provide students from diverse backgrounds with the opportunity to acquire the medical and clinical expertise needed for a successful career as a practicing clinician, along with the skills and confidence needed to critically evaluate and apply new information.
Our competencies which stem from our mission:
The history of St. Matthew’s University School of Medicine is integral to our current mission and future vision. Our medical values inform many aspects of the student experience at St. Matthew’s University, from the syllabus to extracurricular activities. Our competencies which stem from our mission are:
- Patient Care: Students must be able to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of illness and the promotion of health.
- Scientific & Medical Knowledge: Students must demonstrate knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, and associated sciences and ability to apply this knowledge to the practice of medicine throughout the life cycle.
- Lifelong Learning, Scholarship & Collaboration: Students must be able to examine and evaluate their patient care practices, appraise and assimilate scientific evidence, and use this information to improve their abilities.
- Professionalism: Students must demonstrate a commitment to the highest standards of professional responsibility, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity in all interactions with patients, families, colleagues, and others with whom physicians must interact in their professional lives.
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Students must display interpersonal and communication skills that foster effective information exchange and build rapport with patients, their families, and professional associates.
- Social & Community Context of Healthcare: Students must demonstrate knowledge of and responsiveness to the larger context of health care and the ability to effectively call on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value to the health of the individual and of the community.